Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fourth of July Movie Suggestions...

Don't want to hit the megaplex this holiday weekend? Well, I have a couple of movie suggestions that you probably already own or could rent for like .99 cents at Blockbuster. Let's just call this my Top Ten Independence Day Movie List! (Yes...you can imagine me throwing the movie titles on cards like Letterman...that is what I am thinking!)

10. Pearl Harbor - I know I am going to catch grief for this one but I like it! Did you folks know that the original title was "The Tennessean"? True story. I like this one because it has some great battle sequences and that scene in the parachute hangar where Evelyn grabs Danny's dog tags and pulls him to her is...well...hot.

9. The Patriot - Mel Gibson and Health Ledger are good in this Revolutionary War epic. Also, the bad guy, Jason Isaacs, is one of the best movie bad guys ever. He makes you want to crawl into the movie and rip his heart out.

8. Rocky - I know...you guys are thinking...what?! If you remember, the big fight occurs on the 4th of July. Also, Rocky makes for the best underdog ever and Americans always love pulling for the underdog!

7. National Treasure (1&2) - Not the best pieces of cinema ever but I love Nicholas Cage's turn as Benjamin Gates. He has a love for history and all the historical landmarks that are visited in the movies are worth watching.

6. Forrest Gump - What a great movie! Tom Hanks best work...hands down in my book. We get a look at America from the eyes of someone who sees the world just a little differently. Also, it gives you great recipe ideas for shrimp dishes!

5. The Last of the Mohicans - The Brits, the French, Indian tribes a plenty and a love story...what more could you want? This one takes place during the French and Indian War and follows Hawkeye (adopted son of an Indian) and Cora (proper British girl). The two weave a love story amidst the backdrop of war and it is excellent. The scene in the fort and the waterfall scene are enough to watch this one.

4. A Few Good Men - Jack Nicholson was on screen for just 15 minutes in this movie and won an Oscar! He was that good as Col. Nathan R. Jessup! The cast is great and the storyline intriguing. Will Cruise as Lt. Kaffee get Nicholson as Col. Jessup to own up to the Code Red...yes and it is great acting from both these guys!

3. Apollo 13 - We all know how this one ends but it doesn't matter. I am always on the edge of my seat during that time when they lose contact with the astronauts and they think they have lost them upon reentry! This movie shows America at its very best...by saying that "failure is NOT an option"! Now, I should warn you. I love all things to do with NASA. If ever you guys take my Facebook quiz about me, I will give you a hint...the place I would most like to work is not the airport, not even Disney...it is NASA! I remember when I was a freshman in high school, my cheerleading coach (yes, I was a cheerleader...imagine that!) asked all the girls what they wanted to be when they grew up. Most said a teacher or a nurse...then she got to me. I said I wanted to be on the ground control team at NASA for the shuttle launches. I wish I had a picture of all their faces. High school was no picnic for me as you might imagine. Why don't I work for NASA? Can't do high level math...end of that story!

2. Top Gun - I feel the need, the need for speed! Bottom line...you can't beat hot guys in fighter jets. I also always wanted to look like Kelly McGillis in that bomber jacket and have a cool call sign...hers was "Charlie". If any of you can come up with a cool call sign for me, just let me know...

1. Independence Day - Is this the best movie on this list? Heavens no! BUT...if you want tons of action centered around July 4, this is the movie for you! Will Smith is good in his breakout movie role as Capt. Steven Hiller. He is funny and you can buy that he is a fighter pilot out to get ET! Yes, it has some cheesy moments but that scene of the White House blowing up is still a classic!

So, there you go. That should be enough to keep you guys busy for a while. Enjoy your holiday weekend. Good night...and God Bless America!

No comments: