Sunday, July 19, 2009

Entertainment Weekly Is SO Wrong...

So, I am surfing the web today and I come across Entertainment Weekly's top 25 most romantic movies of the last 25 years. WOW...they really did a terrible job with the list! I only agree with 4...possibly 5...of their movies. The rest are either just weird choices or not romantic at all...who wrote this list?!

Anyway, here is why I liked the 4...maybe 5...that I did...

Titanic - OK...they have this one sitting at number 1. I can see that. Made more $$ than any other movie in history and the love story is a good one. Kate and Leo do a great job with the chemistry and you can totally buy into their romance. Best scene...the drawing. He never touches her and she never touches him but it is a very intimate scene. I think it is the music and the way the camera captures him drawing her. I am no artist, but I think he is using charcoal or something that he smudges with his fingers (heck it could be pencil...how do I know?) while he draws. It really makes the scene. Bit of trivia for you...Titanic director, James Cameron, is actually the one doing the drawing so it is his hand we see and not Leo's hand. Is this movie romantic...yes. Should it be number 1? Not so sure. Everyone on planet Earth has seen this movie...right?! Just in case there is one of you that hasn't, here is the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26HJ52yRz2s

Beauty and the Beast - Only animated movie ever nominated for a Best Pictures Oscar. I love this movie. Here are the opening lines...

"Once upon a time, in a faraway land, a young prince lived in a shining castle. Although he had everything his heart desired, the prince was spoiled, selfish, and unkind. But then, one winter's night, an old beggar woman came to the castle and offered him a single rose in return for shelter from the bitter cold. Repulsed by her haggard appearance, the prince sneered at the gift and turned the old woman away. But she warned him not to be deceived by appearances, for beauty is found within. And when he dismissed her again, the old woman's ugliness melted away to reveal a beautiful enchantress. The prince tried to apologize, but it was too late, for she had seen that there was no love in his heart. And as punishment, she transformed him into a hideous beast and placed a powerful spell on the castle and all who lived there. Ashamed of his monstrous form, the beast concealed himself inside his castle, with a magic mirror as his only window to the outside world. The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his 21st year. If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken. If not, he would be doomed to remain a beast for all time. As the years passed, he fell into despair and lost all hope. For who could ever learn to love a beast?"

Well, obviously, Belle learns to love a beast or this movie would be terrible! Best scene - the library. The beast wants to give Belle something and he knows she loves books. (I love books too so I think that is why I love this part.) He blindfolds her and takes her into his massive library and then "gives" it to her. Guys could learn a lot from this part...the "guy" takes note of what she loves. Not enough guys make it a point to know the true likes and dislikes of the one they love. Women are not as much of a mystery as men think... Here is the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRlzmyveDHE&feature=PlayList&p=F367DD28CCC4997F&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=58

Say Anything - Yes, this movie is romantic and it completely defines the 80s with Lloyd holding a boombox above his head while it plays "In Your Eyes". I love that song and I love this movie. Best scene - I will probably have to go with the boombox scene because it is so iconic. Lloyd is just so honest and puts his feelings right out there and that is what makes it great. Here is the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFV7FnbhBRY

Dirty Dancing - I wouldn't say this is the best movie by a long shot but I really love it. Who doesn't quote the line "nobody puts Baby in the corner"?!! It is romantic because it is about first love....or just falling in love. Best scene - when Baby shows up at Johnny's cabin and delivers this line..."Me? I'm scared of everything. I'm scared of what I saw, I'm scared of what I did, of who I am, and most of all I'm scared of walking out of this room and never feeling the rest of my whole life the way I feel when I'm with you." I totally, totally get that line...and I bet most women do. In case you didn't see it, here is the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCwgwO5fA00

Here is the one that I am debating on...

The Wedding Singer - Love the movie but is it one of the most romantic ones in the last 25 years? I don't know. If I had to pick a favorite scene, it is the one where he sings to her on the airplane. Here is the song...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CYI5bKZMes. After watching that again...this one should be on the list!

Well, gotta run to church and attempt to revive a script I have been writing, or trying to write, for far too long.

3 comments:

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Huh, I didn't see the list, but I'm wondering if Bridges of Madison County was on it. And Last of the Mohicans. And Ghost. And The English Patient - maybe - I think I fell asleep during that. But Wedding Singer? Eh....

BB said...

OK...The English Patient was on there but I never saw that one. It didn't have Bridges or The Last of the Mohicans. It may have had Ghost but I can't recall...that one is romantic. It was a weird list! Guy totally made it!

BB said...

Oh yeah...what about The Notebook?! That one is great. Also, The Princess Bride is a good one I would have put over some of the others...not sure it was in the last 25 years. Being a Johnny Depp fan, I would also put Don Juan Demarco...but, that is just me!