Monday, July 25, 2011

And Now We Return You To The Blog About Movies...


Yep!  Finally, I plan on talking (typing...whatever) about a movie!  I know, you guys were worried I was slipping over some crazy edge or something...weren't you?!  It's OK...you were right! :)

So, in the last three days, I have seen two movies at the theater!  Yee Haw!  I had to be on a serious hiatus from movie theater attendance until recently due to lack of funds.  Now, I am making up for lost ground!

Three days ago it was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.  It was good.  It was about a boy wizard who finally killed the bad guy.  OH WAIT...I should have put a spoiler alert in there.  Oh well.  Anyway, all is well that ends well so I bid a fond farewell to Harry and friends.  The movies have been wonderfully done!

Today was Captain America: The First Avenger.  Now, I've have seen many of the other Avengers already.  Apparently they saved the first one for last.  Anyway, Avenger head count...Iron Man (love ya, Robert Downey, Jr!), Thor, Black Widow, Hulk, Haweye (yeah, I have no idea about this one but he has a bow and arrow in the photo), Loki (again, not a clue but he has something to do with Thor), Captain America and Nick Fury who is the leader of this band of superhero/genius/really rich/Norse god/spy type folks.  These seem to be the Avengers for the new movie due out in Summer 2012.  As to the Avengers from comic book lore, check out their Wikipedia page.  There are TONS of them and some are shared with the X-Men and it gets super confusing for people that don't dress up and go to fanboy events.  Anyway, before I get sucked further into that vortex of geekdom, let's talk about Captain American. 

Chris Evans (yep, the hot one from The Fantastic Four...flame on!) got to put on the old red, white and blue for this one!  He's great!  They do this awesome CGI and make him a 90 lb. weakling at the beginning.  He's a great guy with a big heart that gets the snot beat out of him most days.  He really wants to fight the Axis Powers bullies so he keeps trying to get in to WWII even though he has tons of things wrong with him that would pull a F4. 

Finally, he gets his shot when he is noticed by a German born scientist working on a "super solider" project.  He is chosen and the transformation is, well, let's just say it's a bit drool worthy if you are female!  (Chris - that time at the gym REALLY paid off.  Thanks from all the women of America!)  Whew...where was I?  Oh yeah...so, he is now a super soldier and gets to square off against...nobody!  Yep, for a little bit he is used as a propaganda "device" to sell War Bonds!  Off topic, I really want one of those costumes the female dancers have during his propaganda tour!  So retro pin-up bombshell from WWII deal! Movie...was I talking about a movie...yes!  So, after his turn at selling bonds, he gets to see some war time action and it turns out well.  Yes, he really is a super solider so they decide to use him.  Time for a new uniform and a new shield.

All this time, even back during the 90 lb. weakling part, he banters with a woman who is part of this "super solider" team.  Does anyone else find it odd that a British woman is part of this all male, all American group?  Yeah, me too.  BUT, he's gonna have to have a love interest so Peggy is part of the team! 

Also, now that we have a hero and his love interest, we gotta have someone bent on world domination...it's the rules!  Enter Red Skull played wonderfully by Hugo Weaving!  To get a picture of Red Skull, imagine Hilter on crack with his face peeled off.  Got it?  Good!

The rest goes like this...action, things blow up, people explode into blue vapor, shooting, things blow up, that famous shield gets thrown around...A LOT...things blow up, more shooting, cool planes. 

Well, there it is.  I hope I didn't give too much away! 

I would give it two thumbs up!  My favorite of the "Avenger" movies other than Iron Man and they are pretty much tied.  Hard to pick because I love Tony's quick wit but Captain America looks really hot.  Yes, I am that shallow.

Looking very forward to next summer's Avengers movie that brings them all together.  I would also LOVE to be Black Widow...the only girl of the group, she kicks serious butt, and gets to hang out with all these guys...doesn't get better than that!

In case you are still interested in the movie after this crazy review, check out this trailer...



 Next up, I hope, Cowboys and Aliens!  Gotta love Summer Movies!

No comments: