Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snow Day...The Sequel

Here we sit again in the house. Another snow day. Don't get me wrong, I love snow days. It is just the fact that the roads are completely clear and there is no real reason for a snow day that annoys me. OK...that and the fact that hubby and I had to tag team our work today so that neither of us really got much done on the work front.

That being said, yesterday was more of the snow day that I enjoy. Seeing the trees and ground covered with the white stuff while even more big, fat flakes fall. Now that is what I call a snow day! Walker, Texas Ranger and myself even built a darn good snowman out front. We felt we needed to set the standard in snowman making for our neighborhood...someone has to lead the way in this most traditional of snow day endeavors.

The sledding in the back yard was lacking. It mostly involved me running as fast as I could pulling the sled along behind me. Not nearly as fun as when I was a kid. My brother and I would climb a steep hill (not kidding on that one...I lived on 55 acres and we had some great hills) and hurtle ourselves toward the creek just to turn (mostly) at the last minute. Unlike my children, we did not own ski bibs and fancy snow boots. We usually dressed in a hodge podge of clothing that involved layers. Instead of those fancy snow boots, my mother took a page out of my grandmother's book and she would have us put empty bread bags over our shoes and then rubber band them around our ankles. Those plastic bags were quite the fashion statement...good thing our closest neighbor wasn't even within shouting distance let alone viewing distance! So, dressed in jeans with a pair of oversized sweatpants pulled over the jeans, three shirts, a scarf, gloves, hat, two pairs of socks, tennis shoes and bread bags, we would head off for snowy slopes and a day full of fun. Of course, it had to take a whole day because Mom wouldn't let us back in the house until we had really "enjoyed" the outdoors...and she was capable of not harming us due to our constant fighting.

What great memories of childhood. I will never forget the best sledding we ever had. The snow was the perfect texture and density. This time we didn't head for the hills but instead used the driveway (about a tenth of a mile long) as our sled run. We would take off and hit the first hill then bank hard left and level out for a minute before heading down the final hill. It was like our own private rollar coaster...except for the walk back up. Looking back, I realize that I was lazy even then.

Snapping out of my fond memories, I often wonder why we don't have as much snow today as we did when I was a kid. Perhaps that Al Gore is right with his fancy slideshow turned Oscar winning documentary. Who knows, his world wide web thing has seemed to work out well.

I am now going to be the perfect mother and bake some cookies. Are they going to be from scratch? How rude of you to ask! Of course they are not but that doesn't make me a bad mother. It also doesn't make me a bad mother that I didn't even buy the cookie "log"....my mother did. What it does is makes her the perfect grandmother...which she most definately is...just ask Walker or TR! (Don't ask them about me....they will just lie about me yelling at them during a "Mommy snapping moment".)

No comments: