Thursday, December 22, 2011

A Good Book and a Warm Bath

In the movie Jerry MaGuire, Renée Zellweger's character Dorothy utters this line, "I've had three lovers in the past four years, and they all ran a distant second to a good book and a warm bath."  I guarantee that Dorothy was talking about a Nora Robert's book.

I have a theory that I think holds true for all women.  Here it is.  No matter how bad your day has been, if you light some candles, fill a tub with hot water and read a Nora Robert's book, your outlook on life will change for the better.  Your problems will look smaller, your sadness will be less and your anxiety level will be lowered when you get around to pulling the plug on the tub. 

For those of you who have never read a Nora book, you are missing out.  She is hands down the best writer of women's fiction EVER.  Yep, I said EVER!  Why?  I'll tell you.  Even though she has more than a hundred books to her name, her characters are always fresh, funny, and relatable.  She does however follow a pattern that works, at least for me, everytime.  The men are, without fail, handsome, successful and intelligent gentlemen!  They can be lawyers, writers, architects, artists, or professors.  Just when I think I have met my favorite one, she writes another one!  (I am leaving out the JD Robb books which Nora writes under the aforementioned pen name.  I have to leave those out because it isn't fair to the other guys.  Roarke rocks both on and off planet.  Read one and you will know what I mean!)

This has been a hard week.  Heck, this has been a hard year.  The holidays haven't helped because, like most other women, I have presents to buy (I actually have a color coded Excel spreadsheet for gifts...it's a sickness), presents to wrap, trees (yes, multiple) to decorate, housework to do, cooking (have I mentioned I hate cooking?) and what seems like a million other things on a never ending to do list!  Add to that a couple of months of stress levels that have made my Fibromyalgia go into hyperdrive and I am tense, ticked, and tired.  So, tonight I decided to throw my responsiblities to the wind and take a bath.  I didn't even have a new Nora book.  I dug an old one out and started reading!  Amazingly enough, the books even work on second, third or fourth reads! 

As I really relaxed for the first time in what seemed like weeks, that quote from Jerry MaGuire popped to mind.  Yeah, it is probably because Nora can write sex like no one else.  There, I said it.  She writes amazing sex and that is why I think Dorothy was talking about a Nora Roberts book in her famous quote.  Is it because she is such an awesome writer?  Yes and not really.  I think any woman, if she could articulate well enough, could come up with similar.  And, let's be honest, women writers know what women really want.  That is why I tell all my guy friends to pick up a Nora book and learn a thing or two about wooing a woman!

How about just a small sample of Nora's magic?  One of her recent novels was about a woman who had, years before, been the lone survivor of a serial killer.  She rebuilt her life and now trains dogs...both pets and search and rescue dogs.  I know what you are thinking.  Serial killer survior who trains dogs?!  What?! How can this be a "romance novel" setting?!  Well, Nora isn't the typical romance novelist and that is why I called her a women's fiction writer.  She can write murder, mystery, suspense and sex all at the same time.  Sometimes she skips the murder and it is just pretty people in cool jobs falling in love.  That works too.  Anyway, her book about the dog trainer is titled, The Search.  The love interst in this one is an artist.  I liked him immediately.  He is tempermental, says what he means even if he steps on toes and, as always, is handsome, successful and an intelligent gentleman.  The two "leads" are equally matched and they verbally battle right up until they move the battle to...well...read the book and see for yourself!  Oh, did I mention a copy cat serial killer is out to finish the job on the woman?  Yep, Nora keeps you on your toes.

There you have it.  The cure for the crappy day.  A good book...I obviously recommend Nora Roberts...and a warm bath.  I promise it will not disappoint!  Ask Dorothy!

No comments: