Friday, October 14, 2011

I Need A Hero...

With that title I bet you guys think I am going to write about yet another superhero movie.  Well, you would be wrong!

Today marks the release date of the remake of Footloose.  I hear it is terrible.  I don't plan on seeing it.  However, it got me thinking about the original version.  I LOVE that movie.  Teen angst, dancing, Kevin Bacon as the cool, bad boy...what's not to love? 

The original Footloose came out in 1984 and was billed as "a city boy comes to a small town where rock music and dancing have been banned."  What?!  Ban rock and roll music and dancing?  Yep!  Apparently, a group of kids had been out partying one night several years before and got killed in a car accident.  The town went nuts and cut out music and dancing.  Enter that city boy, Ren, who thinks it's a really stupid rule. 

Wouldn't you know it, the city boy ends up catching the eye of the pastor's daughter, Ariel.  The pastor is the leader of this no dancing deal and Ariel makes it her mission to play the bad girl role to the hilt.  Guess what they say about pastor's kids is true!  Anyway, Ariel's new mission is to get Ren even though she has a boyfriend (he beats her so we all hate him).  Ren's mission is to change the town or get out. 

Thankfully, Ren does make some friends along the way.  You know, those great people who talk you into doing things like playing chicken with tractors!  Yep, Ren ends up facing off against Ariel's boyfriend in a dangerous game of tractor chicken!  Check out that clip below.  Be aware - there is probably language.  The 80s movies are well known for adding in the language!  Here you go...



That song playing in the background is Bonnie Tyler's I Need A Hero (yep, there's that blog title!).  What a GREAT 80s song!  It also has a great lesson for all you guys on what a woman really is looking for!  Check out the lyrics...

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods
Where’s the street-wise Hercules
To fight the rising odds
Isn’t there a white knight upon a fiery steed
Late at night I toss and I turn and I dream of what I need

I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero (hero)
I’m holding on for a hero ‘till the morning light (‘till the morning light)
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life (gotta be larger than life)
Somewhere after midnight
In my wildest fantasy
Somewhere just beyond my reach
There’s someone reaching back for me

Racing on the thunder and rising with the heat
It’s gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet

I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the end of the night
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
I need a hero
I’m holding on for a hero ‘til the end of the night

Up where the mountains meet the heavens above
Out where the lightning splits the sea
I could swear there is someone somewhere
Watching me
Through the wind and the chill and the rain
And the storm and the flood
I can feel his approach
Like a fire in my blood
I need a hero...etc...

See, guys, that is all you need to do!  Bonnie spells it out very clearly!  Warrior just back from battle (please wear cool costume...see Thor post if you need inspiration) where he has rescued the fair maiden or defended her in some way.  Contrary to all that feminist talk, at the heart of it all, women still want the white knight.  Unfortunately, there are so few of those heroes still around.  Oh well...

Back to Footloose.  Ren has some great dance numbers with the most famous one being a heated, angry dance through a warehouse.  In case you've never seen it, check it out.  Oh...before you play it please be aware that Ren smokes and drinks in this clip.  Those kids from the 80s were BAD!


One of the most heartwarming moments of the movie comes when Ren attempts to teach his new farmer friend, Willard, how to dance.  Check it out...



In the end, the kids get to have their school dance and Ren gets the girl.  This clip, showing the end of the movie, has a little note at the beginning so be patient.  Also, please note the rocking 1984 styles these kids are sporting! 


Yes, the 80s were an interesting time.  Too bad Hollywood can't leave well enough alone and stop with all the remakes!  Someone must have some new ideas!  Anyone?!  If you do, call California...
 

1 comment:

jeff said...

Holding out for a hero was and is one of my favoite songs. I alway liked the style of Jim Steinman songs-He was the writer for most of Bonnie's and Meatloaf's hits (The Bat out of heck trilogy)
I remember especially connecting with the line about the white knight upon a fiery steed--My steed was a 66 Mustang. And I cranked that Bonnie Tyler song up on my homemade cassette tape many a time.
The whole sound track was cool if I remember correctly. (Though the soundtrack from Streets of Fire out about the same time was a bit better- with 2 Steinman songs)
Sigh--good times. Good times.